What is Medicare and What Does it Cover?
Medicare is the federal health insurance program for people who are 65 or older, or those under 65 who may qualify because of a disability or another special situation. Medicare helps millions of American seniors and disabled individuals cover some of their health care costs.
Medicare also offers important choices in how you receive benefits – whether through the federal government and Original Medicare (Parts A & B) or through a Medicare-approved private insurer that offers additional benefits like prescription drug coverage (Medicare Advantage plans (Part C) and Medicare Part D drug coverage plans).
What are the different parts of Medicare?
- Medicare Part A covers inpatient hospital stays, care in a skilled nursing facility, hospice care, and some home health care.
- Medicare Part B covers certain doctors' services, outpatient care, medical supplies, and preventive services.
- A Medicare Advantage plan (Part C) is a type of Medicare health plan offered by a private insurance company that contracts with Medicare to provide Original Medicare (Parts A and B) benefits. Most Medicare Advantage plans can combine hospital, doctor, and drug coverage in one plan, and may include extra benefits not offered by Original Medicare.
- Medicare Part D plans add prescription drug coverage to Original Medicare and Medicare supplement insurance plans. These plans are offered by insurance companies approved by Medicare.
- A Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) policy, sold by private companies, can help pay some of the health care costs that Original Medicare doesn't cover, like copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles.
There are many Medicare Health Plans and Medicare options to choose from we would be honored in helping you choose the right plan for your individual needs.
Our agents represent all major carriers in your local market and are dedicated to assisting you with making the right choice when it comes to your health insurance needs. Please use the form below to request a cost free consultation with a agent who is local to you!